Sunday, April 3, 2011

Fashion & Teaching

One thing I got from all the reading is that teaching should focus on what the kids are interested in meaning, what is in fashion to them.  For example, right now what is in fashion is things like video games (halo, call of duty, dance dance revolution, guitar hero), music (country and pop), and movies about teen life (napoleon dynamite type).  So as a teacher I should make sure that i keep up with these things that are in fashion and try to incorporate that into what I teach.  I am lucky in that I teach technology, so i can alter my projects a bit easier than some other subjects.  One thing that I think would be cool is to have the kids design a movie around a part of their own life that is unique and then choose a song that goes with it, not just the tempo but the meaning of the music.  Basically make a music video about part of their life.  I think that this would be compelling to them because they get to take at least 2 things that are very important to them and mix them together.  I also think that some kids would make up their own music to go with their movies. 
If we are going to truly make an impact then we need to focus it on the kids and what is important to them.  As teachers it is our job to make sure that they get something out of the experience we set forth in front of them.  The easiest and best way is to make sure that the experience involves something they are interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment