Saturday, March 5, 2011

Bridges for Video

I think video is one way that a message can really get across to people.  I think that the process of making the video is often more compelling than the end result, at least for the videographers.  For example, I watched a video (above) that really spoke to me as a teacher and parent.  As a teacher, I realize that my kids are exposed to this more often than I would like and that it is my job to provide some sense of normalcy for them.  As a parent, it reminded me that my child will do what I do because I am their role model.
When it comes to linking video to a compelling experience I think about the whole process, not just the end result.  It starts with the idea for the video.  sometimes something strikes you and you feel like you just 'have' to record it.  Like the video above, someone probably saw a child reenacting their parents actions and was reminded how much a product of our parents we really are and felt that they needed to show it.  The next part that is compelling is the filming of the movie.  Sometimes things happen while filming that make you really think about it.  Something may happen that changes the course of the film to where you alter your purpose in making it.  Another compelling part is when the film is being edited.  It is often difficult to edit a film that means something to you.  You may find yourself trying to edit for your feelings rather than editing for the meaning of the film.  It is this editing that and working through the difference between feeling and meaning that makes that part compelling, at least to me. 
A link to education is in the idea behind the project.  I think that what will make a video project memorable is allowing the kids to design the video based on their view of the world.  For example, reading Romeo & Juliette then making a video that shows a part of that play.  The kids must internalize the script first, which means that they must derive meaning from the language of the play, then they must organize a film that will show off what they internalized.  this kind of project would really bring the play to life for them and really help them understand the meaning behind the words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment